Tuesday, July 26, 2005

The Best Music of 2005(so far)

As some of you may know, I really enjoy music. I like to listen to music, read about music, analyze music, and even make a little music of my own. Music engages me in a way that few other forms of can. So, in order to help share a little of the joy I feel when listening to music, here is a personal top ten list of recordings released in 2005(that I've heard, I'm sure I'm missing some good stuff). Consider this more of a "favorites" than a "critical best" type list(for which I would have to hear everything). Anyways, here goes:

1. Sufjan Stevens, Illinois

The funniest, quirkiest, and prettiest folk album I've ever heard. Buy it now.

2. The Decemberists, Picaresque

Best accordion parts in any album I've heard this year, hands down. ;)

3. Andrew Bird, Andrew Bird & The Mysterious Production of Eggs

One of the most unique pop albums I've heard a long time. This isn't just another Pet Sounds wannabe indie record, folks.

4. Sleater-Kinney, The Woods

A fun, catchy, yet fresh and unique rock & roll album from a female fronted group. Cool stuff.

5. Over the Rhine, Drunkard's Prayer

More thoughtful, accoustic goodness from OtR. However, be sure to start out with the superior Good Dog, Bad Dog if you're new to the band.

6. Gorillaz, Demon Days

A funky, genre bending album from the genius behind Blur, Damon Albarn.

7. Jars of Clay, Redemption Songs

Jars of Clay remakes old hymns with a modern, yet rootsy feel.


8. The Fiery Furnaces, EP

A surprisingly focused EP from the minds behind last year's Blueberry Boat.


9. Eisley, Room Noises

A fun, though sometimes derivative debut album from a new band to watch for. I can't wait to see what the future brings for these girls(and two guys).

10. Coldplay, X&Y
Though I can't imagine this album staying in my top ten for much longer(there are several strong sounding albums out there that I have yet to hear in their entirety), Coldplay's newest still has all the soaring melodies and hooks that we've come to expect from the band.


So, there you are! I know this list probably has many gaping omissions, but this is how it stands for the album that I've actually heard. This has been a pretty decent year for music so far, and there are several important releases to look forward to still. Hopefully my upcoming college student-ness won't interfere with my getting to hear them! So, until next time, relax, have fun, and enjoy the music.

1 Comments:

At 8:56 AM, Blogger David said...

Regarding Beck, yes, I have yet to hear the album, unfortunately. I would imagine I will probably like it it, since Odelay is one of my favorites. Another album which I really want to hear and rank is the new White Stripes. I'm definitely trying to hear all this stuff, but cash is limited, and buying older albums gets me more music for the money(the purchase of that camera comes courtesy of my selling of some other stuff).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home